Sunday, March 6, 2011

Black Bean Soup With Roasted Tomatoes

The dreary rainy day outside made me think of creamy soup for dinner. I wanted a soup that combined the protein, fiber, and anthrocyanins in black beans with the taste and nutritional benefits of tomatoes. The end result disappeared so fast I was not able to take a photo! My husband said that means I have to make it again so I can take a picture next time (oh, and he thought it was delicious). My FIL seemed to dig it too and my four year old son ate the first serving he was given (shocking enough already since he doesn't really like soup) and then asked for, and ate, seconds! This soup can be tailored to any taste, but I will tell you exactly how I made it tonight.

Black Bean Soup With Roasted Tomatoes
16 ounces plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and then cut into several wedges
6-8 garlic cloves, peeled but whole
1 medium carrot, cut into quarters
3 and 2/3 cup cooked black beans (if you use canned beans, rinse them first)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon oil (I used macadamia nut oil infused with hot pepper called Pele's Fire)
2 cups vegetable stock

Bake the vegetables in the oven at 350 for 55-60 minutes, stirring about every 20 minutes or so. Once baked, remove the carrots and set aside. Combine the remaining veggies, beans (except for 2/3 cup), cilantro (except for 1/4 cup), cumin, salt, oil, and stock. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Puree the soup (either in batches in food processor or blender, or with an immersion blender in the pot). Dice the baked carrot. Add the reserved beans, cilantro, and diced carrots. Serve hot!

Six servings at 5 WW points plus each.

No comments:

Post a Comment