Thursday, March 3, 2011

Savory and Sweet Fruits


Aren't they gorgeous? Such beautiful red grape tomatoes: sweet and fabulous, they are the perfect size to fit in my mouth so when they can burst between my teeth and not squirt anywhere! Today for lunch I started my recently oft-repeated tomato and zucchini salad, but this time with the beauties above instead of slicing tomatoes. Of course both tomatoes and zucchini are fruit, so these are my savory fruits for this post.


Grape Tomato and Zuchini Salad
1 cup grape tomatoes
2 cups baby zuchini, cut into small pieces
1 ounce crumbled feta
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1-2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
I topped the salad with an ounce of crumbled feta, teaspoon of evoo, a couple teaspoons full of white wine vinegar (thought about balsamic but didn't want to color the feta), and some freshly ground salt and pepper. A delicious, filling lunch for only 3 WW points plus (the feta and the oil--I did not plug all these ingredients into the recipe builder). Full of flavor, vitamins, and fiber. Plus, fun to eat!

For dinner (a very casual affair with for two: my son and I), I decided to make a sweet fruit smoothie for the child. He will eat vegetables, but I have to bribe him more often than not. He needs the vitamins from the fruit, the fat and calcium from the 2% milk, and everybody needs fiber! All ingredients are organic: 1 cup 2% milk, 1/2 mango, 1 very ripe banana, 4 strawberries, in the vita-mix for 30 seconds. Here are before and after photos! (Sorry I was not able to take a photo of the glass when it was full!)

This made 2 cups , which I called 2 servings. 5 WW points plus for each serving. I had only 1/2 serving (would have had more but he wanted the rest of mine when I asked if he wanted me to pour it into his glass). P.S. I tried to get him to let me put a carrot in also and he protested that adding the carrot would make for too many ingredients. He insisted on, "only 4 ingredients, not 5!"

No comments:

Post a Comment