Thursday, March 10, 2011

Polenta with Tomatoes and Capers

Tonight we had a bunch for leftovers for dinner. I found a single serving of polenta (ok, actually corn grits, since the name "polenta" implies butter and cheese whereas my corn grits have neither of those additions) and decided I should dress it up for my dinner.

It was only a 1/2 cup, so I mashed it up with a fork, heated it up in the microwave, then topped it with a teaspoon of olive oil, about 1/2 cup of grape tomatoes (the larger ones cut in half lengthwise), and a couple teaspoons of caper. Topped with a bit of salt and pepper, this was a delicious, filling treat of a side dish! Conveniently quick, low in points, and tasty.

Corn Grits:
3 cups boiling water
1 cup corn grits
salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Whisk grits into boiling water. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir while protecting yourself with the lid of the pot you are cooking this in--those spatters (and there will be spatters!) are hot!
Makes approximately 4 cups. I pour the corn grits into ramekins and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning them out onto the plate when serving dinner. We do not eat all 4 servings, so I often refrigerate one or two servings for later.

1/2 cup corn grits is 2 WW points plus, so my dish is 2 points plus + 1 points plus for oil (zero for tomatoes and capers) for a total of 3 WW points plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment