Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Red Lentil and Wild Rice Soup

Last night we had a mixture of sleet and rain. Outside it is still cold and raining. The rain is predicted to turn into snow and may leave us with 3-7 inches by morning. A perfect evening for a hearty soup! Grocery day is tomorrow, so this soup must be made with the standards I always have on hand. I did some searching online and came up with these options:

Creamy Garbanzo-ball and Wild Rice Soup: sounds tasty but I have no frozen peas, garbanzo flour, thyme or parsley. Those garbanzo balls look kind of involved. (But they make me think of matzoh ball soup, mmmmm).
Marrakesh Express Red Lentil Soup: this sounds great but I don't have any cilantro left. The recipe calls for 4 plum tomatoes and I have only 3, which might not make such difference. I wish the recipe gave weights so I'd have a better idea how far off the mark my tomatoes are. I really wanted a recipe with wild rice and this does not call for any!
Vegetable Lentil Wild Rice Soup: I don't have cabbage and this sounds as though it might be little bland. Then again, the comments on the recipe indicated that others have made substitutions and I do have cauliflower as well as some fresh spinach that should be eaten. I could chop the spinach really thin and add it at the end so it is more wilted than cooked. I could put in a sweet potato instead of a regular potato as one of the other commenters did. I think I will also double the amount of rice and add garbanzos in addition to the lentils. More nutrient dense that way.

If you have not already figured it out, I decided to make the Vegetable Lentil Wild Rice Soup. Here are my alterations: I added a rib and a half of chopped celery. I substituted a diced sweet potato for a regular potato. I used cauliflower, cut into 1" florets, instead of sliced cabbage. I put in double the amount of both wild rice and red lentils. I used only 28 ounces instead of 32 ounces of canned diced tomatoes (my cans are 28 ounces, not 32!). I added 1 cup of garbanzo beans (which I cooked: not from a can). The soup was sweet and savory and delicious! Warming and filling--packed full of nutrients and fiber with barely any fat and low in carbs (but all are complex carbs).

For those (hi Nicki!) who are interested, according to my calculations this soup serves 8 with 5WW points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment