Friday, February 11, 2011

The Brussels Sprouts United Us

Yesterday I was informed we would be having bangers and mash for dinner tonight. Meaning sausages and mashed potatoes. Of course I would be having a Tofurky and something other than mashed potatoes, laden in delicious butter, excuse me while I drool, and I needed to figure out some type of vegetable. I settled on brussels sprouts.  Even as I child I liked these beautiful little things (baby cabbages, I called them) and my husband loves them too. My mother re-introduced them to our cooking repertoire and I am really happy she did so.

Here's my plate (I thought there was still a leftover polenta in the fridge but then there wasn't so I settled for the whole wheat pita.)

Here's my husband's plate.

The brussels sprouts were delicious! Even the child ate them (after being begged and bribed to take the first bite). About 10 ounces of sprouts were sauteed with 1 cup onion, garlic, dried basil, one tablespoon of olive oil, and one tablespoon of water to help the brussels sprouts steam (I call this 2 servings, with 2 WW points plus for the oil and 1 WW points plus for the onion, so a total of 3 per serving). At the table I sprinkled them with 1/2 ounce parmesan cheese (which I really didn't need, since the sprouts were mild and sweet) for 1 WW points plus. My dinner was 13 points plus: the brussels sprouts were a total of 4 points plus, my Tofurky was 6, and the whole wheat pita was 3 points plus (calculated with the nutrition info on the package).

Thinking of cooking brussels sprouts for your family? I LOVE Brussels Sprouts | 5 Fabulous and Tasty Recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment