Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Raw to Perfectly Cooked

I love vegetables. I love the way they taste. I love the crunch between my teeth. I love the nutrients and the fiber and the way those things affect my body. The key, for me anyhow, is to not cook them too much! Tonight I decided to make steamed broccoli and carrots with garlic and olive oil. I would have added lemon juice also but well, there weren't any lemons in the house! Boo!

Here's a photo of some beautiful organic broccoli and carrots on my handy kitchen scale. (Love my scale, btw! I use it every day.)

Here are the same veggies as a complete dish. I washed, cleaned, and cut them; then kept them in the pan till the colors became really bright/intense. Then I removed them from the pan and rinsed in cold water (to stop the cooking and preserve the nutrients). Then in the empty, dry pan, I heated one tablespoon of olive oil and gently sauteed some garlic, mashing it with a spoon while it was cooking, then put the veggies back in the pan and heated them up a bit. Here's a photo of them just before being served.

I also made quinoa and of course, tofu.

Here's my plate:

 I had 2/3 cup quinoa at 4 points (5 WW points plus for one cup). Broccoli and carrots are 0 WW points plus, with 1 WW points plus for the one teaspoon of olive theoretically on my 1/3 of the veggie dish. My tofu dish is 6 WW points plus per serving. A total of 12 points plus for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment